[llvm-dev] OptBisect implementation for new pass manager

Philip Pfaffe via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 1 12:49:53 PDT 2018

Sorry, but I strongly oppose to the road you're suggesting here. As I said
before the Pass*Manager* is entirely the wrong place to handle OptNone, the
absolutely the wrong design. It makes sense for function *only*, and
immediately breaks down everywhere else. Frankly, OptNone should take no
role in this particular discussion, and I feel like so far it has because
"We've always done it this way".

Second, I don't completely subscribe to the arguments towards not-skippable
passes. Fundamentally: Who decides whether a pass is skippable or not?
_When_ is a pass skippable, when isn't it? Neither the Pass nor the
PassManager may actually decide that. The only things that do are the
pipeline builder and the bisecter. Pipeline builder here means the driver
tool that constructs and executes the pipeline (like clang or opt), not
PassBuilder. We can achieve that if we put this feature into the
instrumentation instead.  Here we have the right amount of control, at
least cost and minimal complexity. Then, all we need to is get the default
treatment right. If we can agree on whether we truly want to not skip some
passes 90% of the time, than we can just encode that as an overrideable
default, such as by tracking a list of non-skippable passes right there in
the implementation.

Cheers,
Philip