[llvm-dev] How to build LLVM linked to libc++abi?

ardi via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 1 00:58:54 PDT 2018

Thanks a lot!! I'll apply your change and I'll report back (which,
BTW, ruins my goal of 7.0.0 being the first LLVM release I build on
MacOS without applying any patches).

And, honestly, I don't understand the rationale for not supporting
this on MacOS. If it's for the alleged reason of linking libc++ being
a mess in MacOS, then precisely for that very same reason some users
(like me) might want to statically link the whole thing (libc++,
libc++abi, and whatever) into their builds and forget the mess
forever. OTOH, if it's because you are supposed to use the libs
shipped with MacOS, then you should be supposed to be using Xcode
clang instead of building LLVM yourself, so LLVM should have a check
for refusing being built on MacOS.

I don't know if I can support you in some way for getting your change
admitted (as I'm not a LLVM developer), but I really look forward to
7.0.1 being the first release I build without applying patches :-)

In the meantime, I'm applying your change right now :-)

Thanks a lot!