[llvm-dev] [RFC] Tablegen-erated GlobalISel Combine Rules

Daniel Sanders via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Nov 29 16:25:25 PST 2018

> On Nov 29, 2018, at 02:02, Nicolai Hähnle <nhaehnle at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 27.11.18 19:01, Daniel Sanders wrote:
>> ...Continued from the other email
>> _Removing the defs section_
>> We can potentially infer quite a lot of the defs section but it requires both a complicated ruleset and that tblgen spends processing time doing the inferencing. That processing time is potentially significant for large combiners and for that reason we need to be careful not to let inferencing become a burden on tblgen. My main worry here is that it may require analyzing both the match and apply section to fully inference the types and I'd like the tablegen pass to be able to ignore the apply section until it's about to write it out to the output file.
>
> Thank you for looking into this!
>

>> There are however, some simple rules we can use to minimize the defs section with just a scan of the defs section (trivial) and match section (which we have to do anyway):
>> 1. Match roots are implicitly declared in the defs section and have
>>    type 'reg'.
>> 2. Names used as argument to an operator that subclasses Instruction
>>    are implicitly declared in the defs section with type 'reg'. This
>>    allows leaf-operands to be used in the apply section
>>      * This does however come at additional run-time memory cost
>
> Can you explain this? You mean run-time as in when the compiler runs, right? I guess I'm not familiar enough with the details of the matching algorithm.

That's right. The impact of this rule is to include all the operands covered by the match just in case they need to be delivered to apply. This makes the struct above larger than it really needs to be. For example:
	(defs $d, $a, $b)
        (match (MUL $t, $a, $b),
               (ADD $d, $c, $t))
would record and pass three operands, but with this rule it would effectively be:
	(defs $d, $t, $a, $b)
which is slightly larger.

The run-time memory cost comes from the implicit declaration in the defs section. The defs sections primary purpose is to describe the information that needs to be delivered from the match step to the apply step. So it can be seen as defining*:
	struct {
		MachineOperand &d;
		MachineOperand &t; // due to the implicit declaration.
		MachineOperand &a;
		MachineOperand &b;
	} Foo;
	Foo matchRule(...);
	void applyRule(Foo &, ...);

*That's not quite what the tablegenerated code will do in practice but it's the gist of what it will do. The real implementation will be managing a buffer that's shared between the whole ruleset and will tell the apply step which bits it should read.