[llvm-dev] New LLVM git repository conversion prototype

Justin Bogner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 16 19:10:13 PST 2018

James Y Knight via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> writes:
> On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 5:46 PM David Jones <dlj at google.com> wrote:
>> $ git tag -m 'Begin development of 8.0.0.' '8.0.0svn' 63297479398
>>
>> Then, `git describe` can give a useful result that would be stable(-ish
>> [*]):
>>
>> $ git describe --match=\*svn
>> 8.0.0svn-7878-gfdb08034fd8
>>
>> ([*] Subject to the normal caveat for git-describe: the trailing short
>> hash may become non-unique over time. This is mentioned in the git help.)
>>
>> Again, I think these tags could probably be added later, but it would be
>> nice to have a single source of truth (especially since the tag annotation
>> is itself a commit).
>>
>> I think we could also probably come up with better than than '8.0.0svn';
>> although whatever the choice, they probably need to be suitable for
>> --match, because...
>>

> We could name tags named something like: "v8.0dev" (for trunk tag),
> "v8.0.0rc1" (after making a branch and updating the version numbers in the
> branch), "v8.0.0" (for the final release from the branch). And, use
> --match="v*" in the describe output. I think this basically obviates the
> need for request #2.

This seems like a very good thing to do, and if it wasn't obvious, this
is also something we should plan to do going forward once we start
branching our releases in git directly.

As a bit of a side note, v8.0.0 is probably too brief - I expect v*
could easily match some arbitrary tag that starts with the letter v too
easily. I don't have strong opinions about the particular name, but
something like llvm-8.0.0 or llvm.org-v8.0.0 would be better.