[llvm-dev] New LLVM git repository conversion prototype

David Jones via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 16 14:46:32 PST 2018

Hi James,

I've started working with the prototype layout in context of Google's
internal infrastructure. With deep apologies, I have a (very late, I know)
pair of requests that have only recently solidified for me.

1. Could you add annotated tags after the cut point of each release? (I
think this would probably be easy.)

2. Could you mark branch/tag operations somehow other than a annotated tag
on master? (This seems less trivial, but my reasoning is below.)

The overall goal is for `git describe` to give a reasonable default output.

Reasoning for request #1:

Example: add a tag after the cut point of the 7.0 release:

$ git log --oneline $(git merge-base HEAD origin/release_70)..HEAD | tail -1
63297479398 Bump the trunk version to 8.0.0svn
$ git tag -m 'Begin development of 8.0.0.' '8.0.0svn' 63297479398

Then, `git describe` can give a useful result that would be stable(-ish
[*]):

$ git describe --match=\*svn
8.0.0svn-7878-gfdb08034fd8

([*] Subject to the normal caveat for git-describe: the trailing short hash
may become non-unique over time. This is mentioned in the git help.)

Again, I think these tags could probably be added later, but it would be
nice to have a single source of truth (especially since the tag annotation
is itself a commit).

I think we could also probably come up with better than than '8.0.0svn';
although whatever the choice, they probably need to be suitable for
--match, because...

Reasoning for request #2:

Since many other branch/tag operations are stored as annotated tags, they
are currently used by git-describe:

$ git describe
google/stable/2018-10-04-3473-gfdb08034fd8

This doesn't seem as generally useful to me as the release-cut based
revisions... describing a commit as "the 7878th of 8.0.0 development" seems
more generally helpful than saying "the 3473rd after a google/stable
release."

A very similar approach might be to drop the existing annotated tags, and
add the unchanged branches as no-change commits (i.e., the equivalent of
`git commit --allow-empty`), with a lightweight tag.

Unfortunately, this seems (to me) to be harder to fix than #1. The "similar
approach" seems like it could be added safely without recreating the entire
history, but it seems like this would need to be done before folks start
depending on the existing tags.

(Of course, it's possible I've completely missed something obvious or
somehow fouled up my clone of the repo, and this is already supposed to
work... let me know if I've missed something, or if you have a better
approach.)