[llvm-dev] RFC: Dealing with out of tree changes and the LLVM git monorepo

David Greene via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Nov 15 14:05:51 PST 2018

Tom Stellard via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> writes:

> What is the status with this proposal?  It has been 2 weeks now since
> the initial email and it seems like the discussion  is slowing down.  Do
> we still want to consider this zippered approach as a possibility for the
> official repo?

I have very strong feedback from the engineer who does our upstream
merges that he does NOT want to see this zippered repository.  A clean
linear history makes understanding merges much easier.

James made a number of other important points about limitations of the
zippered repository:

http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2018-November/127460.html

git-bisect being more complicated is a deal-breaker for me.  Checking
out a random commit and only getting part of the project is just odd.

                             -David