[llvm-dev] Some questions about writing compiler passes.

Carter Cheng via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Nov 4 01:55:05 PST 2018

Hello,

I have a couple basic questions about implementing compiler passes for llvm
and was looking for a bit of help since I was looking to write an
instrumentation pass of some sort. I am sort of new.

1. How do compiler passes cope with inline assembly? Can this sometimes
violate the optimization assumptions of the pass?

2. What are good ways to verify and validate passes? Can one prove them
correct with Coq? Or is it a matter of running and dumping the AST pre and
post transform and using tests to verify their correctness?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Carter.