[llvm-dev] RFC: Dealing with out of tree changes and the LLVM git monorepo

David Greene via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 2 07:08:03 PDT 2018

Justin Bogner <mail at justinbogner.com> writes:

> I'll write up some more detailed docs on this, but all you need to do is
> a subtree merge to one of the zippered commits.

This will then prevent git-biisect from working properly, unfortunately.
Maybe most people don't need it be we should be aware of and communicate
the tradeoffs.

> If you want a monorepo view for all of your branches' histories too it's
> more involved, but I'm not sure anyone really needs that. In any case,
> even if someone does want that the nature of the zipper approach means
> it could be done later non-destructively.

That's true, but then they would suffer the same duplication of history
that motivated you to create the zippered repository in the first place.
Again, we need to make the tradeoffs clear.

I'm not saying the zippered approach is bad, just that it's not quite
the panacea it may seem to be.

                        -David