[llvm-dev] GN build roundtable summary; adding GN build files to the repo

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Nov 1 03:58:40 PDT 2018

On 11/1/18 11:30 AM, Nicolai Hähnle via llvm-dev wrote:
> Have you tried LLVM only?
>
> Quite frankly, if I can get a cmake run in under 5 seconds for LLVM only (on a Threadripper with SSD) without doing anything special, and it takes your system 35 seconds for LLVM + Clang + LLDB + LLD (on an apparently similarly beefy system, also with SSD), it sounds to me like something *seriously* broken is happening in the cmake files for those other projects.
>
> Maybe that should be fixed instead of reinventing the world?

What would be the options to get a minimal build? I have checked out LLVM
from the git mirror and just ran cmake -G Ninja on an AMD EPYC with 32 cores,
it took 17 seconds. The whole build took 6 minutes and 20 seconds.

Either way, I'm very happy with cmake. It's powerful, proven and fast enough
and it's very portable.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz