[llvm-dev] Rewriting calls to varargs functions

Richard Smith via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 22 17:11:09 PDT 2018

Converting to puts is usually not possible: puts appends a newline to its
output. The only really appropriate thing to convert to, that works in
general, is fwrite. But we can't convert to that because we can't form the
'stdout' parameter (stdout might be a macro rather than a global, or might
have a nontrivial mangling, so LLVM can't synthesize it). Also, converting
printf("Hello, %s", "world") to printf("Hello, world") is likely a
pessimization rather than an optimization for performance: printing a
string via %s just needs to write the string, whereas printing a format
string needs to scan for %s.

Having said all that, the opposite conversion (from printf("Hello, %s",
"world") to printf("%s", "Hello, world")) may be marginally worthwhile. And
there are some non-trivial tradeoffs here if you want to optimize for size.
(Eg, some format string refactorings may permit more string constant reuse.)