[llvm-dev] more reassociation in IR

Sanjay Patel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 18 14:30:59 PDT 2018

I mentioned this earlier in the thread - I would like to see something like
D41574 in the optimizer. It's optimizing code that no other pass does
currently, and I don't see any other near-term proposal that gets us those
optimizations.

Omer, can you rebase that to trunk? I think a header has moved, so it
doesn't build as-is. I'd like to know if it can catch the cases in D45842.
If not, why not? If it can handle those easily, I'll abandon D45842.

Also, I don't know if it's better to include that functionality as another
iteration of the existing -reassociate or split it off as its own pass. But
I think it should do the distributive simplifications that are currently in
-instcombine (InstCombiner::SimplifyUsingDistributiveLaws). Using that
instsimplify logic for analysis lets us decide if the reassociation is
worthwhile in the 1st place, it removes the risk that some other pass would
somehow mess up the pattern before instcombine could zap it, and it reduces
the burden on instcombine to be the entire optimizer. :)