[llvm-dev] Backend Plugins?

Kenneth Adam Miller via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 17 12:22:24 PDT 2018

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 3:09 PM, Friedman, Eli <efriedma at codeaurora.org>
wrote:

> On 5/17/2018 10:10 AM, Kenneth Adam Miller via llvm-dev wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>

>> I've looked around in the documentation, and I can't see anywhere where
>> there is a backend plugin capability for LLVM. I'd like to be able to get
>> the output of the instruction selector along with the LLVM IR, or perhaps
>> instrument that.
>>

>> Is there any capability to have a backend plugin in LLVM at all?
>>

> It sounds like you want to write a MachineFunctionPass as a plugin, and
> run it in the middle of the pass pipeline of an existing backend?  No,
> there isn't any support for that; RegisterStandardPasses only works on IR.
>
> -Eli
>
> --
> Employee of Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.
> Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum, a Linux
> Foundation Collaborative Project

Yeah, I just discovered MachineFunctionPass. I don't know that I want to
run it in the middle of the pass pipeline of an existing backend so much as
I want the desired target to run and then have my machine function pass
run. If I can get the address of every machine instruction I will be very
happy.