[llvm-dev] Backend Plugins?

Kenneth Adam Miller via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 17 10:10:35 PDT 2018

Hello,

I've looked around in the documentation, and I can't see anywhere where
there is a backend plugin capability for LLVM. I'd like to be able to get
the output of the instruction selector along with the LLVM IR, or perhaps
instrument that.

Is there any capability to have a backend plugin in LLVM at all?

Perhaps what is necessary is to manually drive the backend from the
perspective of a frontend plugin, so that I can turn off the default
backend, and obtain the results of the backend within my frontend plugin. I
don't like this as much though, because it requires that I dig into how
LLVM stitches together it's phases.