[llvm-dev] Removing LLVM testing tools from the install distribution

Davide Italiano via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon May 14 14:48:50 PDT 2018

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 2:27 PM, Vedant Kumar via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Should the binaries included in an LLVM release be generally useful to a wide audience of toolchain users, or is it OK to ship tools that are only really useful for LLVM development?
>
> If the former is the case, can we consider not shipping tools which are exclusively for testing the compiler? E.g removing these 5 binaries from 5.0.2-rc1 would have saved over a hundred megabytes in uncompressed space for macOS users:
>
> Binary name | Size in megabytes
> clang-check: 54.6725
> llvm-c-test: 33.8384
> clang-import-test: 20.6708
> c-index-test: 19.8632
> verify-uselistorder: 2.84348
>
> vedant

I personally have no objections to removing the tools you just pointed
out, as long as important testing tools are kept around (in
particular, opt, llc).

Thanks,

--
Davide

"There are no solved problems; there are only problems that are more
or less solved" -- Henri Poincare