[llvm-dev] LLVM IR with MakeFile

Muhui Jiang via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon May 14 00:45:59 PDT 2018

Hi LLVM Devs

I am not sure whether this is the right email to ask such kind of question.
If not, please tell me the right mailing list.

I am new to llvm and I am going to use llvm to do some task related to
program analysis. Now I would like to generate llvm IR.

I know that  we can use the command like "clang -S -emit-llvm" to get the
llvm IR.

However, I would like to have a makefile that can help me to generate the
llvm IR.

For example, I am now compiling the coreutils. I use `./configure
CC=/path/to/clang  CFLAGS='-S -emit-llvm` to try to generate the target
makefile.It doesn't work due to the following error
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `lib/asnprintf.ll.ll', needed by
`lib/libcoreutils.a'.  Stop.

I would like to use clang to cross compile the coreutils and the target
architecture is ARM. For the purpose of program analysis, I would like to
have the LLVM IR generated and also the dwarf information. Can anyone give
me some suggestions. Thank you so much

Regards
Muhui