[llvm-dev] A Fresh Start with LLVM

Carsten Mattner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun May 13 08:02:45 PDT 2018

On 5/13/18, Bruce Hoult via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Yes, it's not bad. You can actually reduce the size of the .git
> directory to 597 MB by running "git repack -a -d -f --depth=250
> --window=250". This takes less than 5 minutes on a 16 core Xeon.

You can also svn checkout any GitHub branch if that's something that
you might need.

https://help.github.com/articles/support-for-subversion-clients/

Disk space won't be saved this way because svn doesn't have
compressed pack files. Interesting enough a checkout of trunk is
1.6GB but doesn't need to transfer anywhere near 1.6GB. Subsequent
updates will be fast, but I'm sure you can use git history so this
isn't practical anyway, I guess.

> Unfortunately I've never found a way to get such a nicely packed
> repo into github such that it checks out for others as nicely
> as it was when I uploaded it :-(

Maybe the reason is that git shares the underlying bare repo between
all forks. Just speculating. You can confirm this by loading a ref
that you would think only exists in your fork's branch but actually
can be accessed via any of the forks urls.