[llvm-dev] A Fresh Start with LLVM

Martin J. O'Riordan via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun May 13 03:37:56 PDT 2018

Hi LLVM Devs,

I recently finished working for Intel/Movidius, and thought that before I
start working on some new LLVM project, that this would be a good time to
discard all of my old practices (which began with v2.7, and has gathered
crud over the years) and restart with a brand new fresh LLVM approach
directly from head.

In preparation for doing this, I would like to know what is the current
status of using GIT vs SVN and should I start afresh with the GIT
repositories?  There is also the issue of Mono vs Multiple repositories, and
which I select will be somewhat dictated by recommended best approach, and
how big the Mono repository is to clone for the first time as I have ISP
download caps to contend with.  I would prefer to have a Mono installation,
and that way be able to track future development of all LLVM projects; but I
also need to be able to enable and disable subprojects cleanly as I need
them - for instance, at this time I am not yet ready for LLD and I don't
need DragonEgg, so although they are in the Mono repository, I need to be
able to configure my build to exclude them.

Mostly I expect that I will be working on cross-compilers for embedded
systems, so cross-compilation of the libraries is important.  Historically I
have done this with my own hand-crafted build systems (for LibC++ and
Compiler-RT), but would like to do this with the integrated LLVM prescribed
approach when possible.

For testing I have never used the LLVM test-suite, nor the LIT and LNT
frameworks, but in a fresh context I would like to get these up and running
as soon as possible.  My primary development platform is Windows, with
various Linux distros for verifying my development.  And if possible, I
would like to construct a private BuildBot for each target I am working on
that mirrors the LLVM community BuildBots - but this is also something I
have never done.  To date, all of my testing for cross-development systems
has used bespoke test harnesses and I would like to learn how to run the
standard testing too; especially on Windows (8.1 and 10).

Advice on getting set up with a fresh start would be greatly appreciated, as
well as Newbie advice for how to test LLVM since in this regard I am a
newbie.

Thanks,

            MartinO