[llvm-dev] A Short Policy Proposal Regarding Host Compilers

Vedant Kumar via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 11 12:10:09 PDT 2018

Hi,

@Erich, thanks for putting this together :).

> On May 11, 2018, at 9:54 AM, Daniel Berlin via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> I'd be opposed to 6/5, given where it would leave us.
> It's simply hard to see a compelling reason to leave things that long.
>
> In particular, given this is about what it takes to produce a binary release of clang/llvm from trunk (and not what it takes to use one), i'd like to see some evidence/argument that using 3/1.5 would actually have a material affect on the number of contributions, etc.
> (I have doubts it would have any affect on the abliity of new developers to start contributing, etc).

+ 1.

> All of the clang/llvm based tools i have around (cquery, rtags, you name it) all download and ship binary releases of clang/llvm (and FWIW, they ship and use 1-2 year old releases).
> It's also unclear to me it makes sense to try to make sure any user can compile the latest version - for example, researchers using it almost never keep up with trunk, even with our current policy that supports things for longer.  They stick with the version that existed when they started.
>
> So it's unclear that we are doing a thing users actually want in practice anyway :)

Yep, I have the same doubts. Anecdotally, I've got a few hobby projects I haven't rebased since.. 3.4? I don't have a list on hand, but I've definitely seen papers from groups that do the same thing.

> Finally,  given the rate of support for newer C++ standards in LLVM/GCC seems to be accelerating and not slowing down (AFAICT), keeping a time period this long will just put you farther and farther behind over time.
>
> It may be better to simply express it in terms of releases, and say "we support the past 2/3 major gcc releases, the past 2/3 major clang releases, and the past 2 major msvc releases"

I'd prefer this to imposing a fixed wait period of 3 years. We could add a deprecation warning for compiler version X when (X+1) is released, and switch to (X+1) when (X+2) is out. I can see this breaking down if some LTS distro continues to ship version X, but that's in issue in the 3/1.5 scheme as well, and we can make specific exceptions as needed.

I see the 3/1.5 scheme as basically a more conservative version of this, so I'd be OK with that too.

vedant