[llvm-dev] Thank you from the Glow Developers

Saleem Abdulrasool via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 11 08:36:46 PDT 2018

Hi Sean,

Sorry for the delay.

On Sat, May 5, 2018 at 1:23 PM Sean Silva <chisophugis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Very cool! The first thing that jumps out to me is how tidy and modular
> the code structure is. The code feels very familiar (stylistically,
> organizationally, etc.) to me as an LLVM developer.

Thanks!  We absolutely took inspiration from the wonderful work in LLVM :).
I’m glad that you found it familiar and tidy.

One thing that wasn't at all clear to me is how this is different/similar
> to TensorFlow XLA (previously mentioned on this list). Can you briefly
> compare and contrast this with TensorFlow XLA?

That is a very keen observation.  There are many similarities between the
two projects.  However, there are some differences too.

Both are interested in performing cross-node optimizations to address
memory usage and execution time.  In order to accomplish their goals, both
have their own IR and optimization passes.

At the same time, there seem to be some differences as well.  In the case
of glow we have focused on the use of Caffe2 models and have support for
the ONNX format as well.  We have been trying to focus on providing a more
target independent model and have been considering some heterogeneous
execution models as well.  XLA is definitely a more mature compiler
compared to glow.

I think that there are sufficient similarities and differences that there
are ample opportunities for collaboration as these projects grow further.

-- Sean Silva

> On Thu, May 3, 2018, 6:14 PM Saleem Abdulrasool via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello LLVM community,
>>
>> We have been working hard on a new domain specific optimizing compiler,
>> and we
>> are pleased to announce that we have recently open sourced the project!
>> We
>> would like to introduce you to Glow, an optimizing compiler for neural
>> networks!
>>
>> This new compiler is built on the hard work of this community and we
>> would like
>> to thank all of the contributors to the LLVM project.  We hope that the
>> project
>> will be beneficial to others as well, which would not have been possible
>> without
>> your work.
>>
>> You can find the sources to it at http://github.com/pytorch/glow and
>> read up on
>> the work in the associated paper we have released at
>> https://arxiv.org/pdf/1805.00907.
>>
>> Thank you all!
>>
>> The Glow Developers

> --