[llvm-dev] Using C++14 code in LLVM

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 10 14:21:28 PDT 2018

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 3:10 PM Zachary Turner <zturner at google.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 1:50 PM Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
>> Last time this came up, there were a lot of people that were stuck on GCC
>> 4.9 due to ABI reasons. I think forcing that upgrade is going to be the
>> most disruptive part of this, and I think that will really need a decent
>> amount of time. =[
>>

> "a decent amount of time" is very vague though, and is a good way of
> stalling forward progress.

Let's try to avoid implying bad intent. =/

>   How *much* time?  And when can we start the clock?

I don't know. I can only speak to the use cases I'm aware of and care
about. Whoever wants to drive this change needs to get a lot more feedback
than just from me (IMO) about different users and whether a particular
schedule will work.

And I already mentioned my schedule, but maybe not explicitly enough: the
primary platform I care about is planning to be off of libstdc++4.9 (the
tall poll of the tent for us) by the end of 2018. So it seems like right
after the branch in January 2019 would be fine for us to bump things up.
Anything earlier than this will be somewhere between extremely hard to
infeasible for us.

At that point, we could probably go for C++17 as easily as C++14.

But maybe my group is unique in that timing so we should really ask others
for input as well.