[llvm-dev] Migrating the llvm-emacs mode to a separate git repository

Tim Northover via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 10 01:51:51 PDT 2018

On 10 May 2018 at 06:07, Jaseem Abid via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Melpa[1] is pretty much the most common package manager for emacs and very
> recently the llvm-mode got removed from it[2] due to performance issues.

Wouldn't svn be better here? It ought to allow you to checkout just
the utils/emacs directory (or not even that with "svn cat"). We're
eventually planning to move to git as the primary source of truth, but
there will always be svn fallbacks in place.

> Will it be possible to split this into a new separate git repo? This should
> make it easier for the emacs community to work with this code and make it
> less intimidating for new users to contribute to.

That's a separate issue, of course. I'm not entirely convinced there
are hordes of Emacs developers just itching to help out with
tablegen-mode but deterred by the big repository. But maybe I'm wrong.

Cheers.

Tim.