[llvm-dev] I am leaving llvm

Nicolai Hähnle via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 8 02:03:48 PDT 2018

On 08.05.2018 04:24, Chris Lattner via llvm-dev wrote:
> On May 7, 2018, at 10:45 AM, Renato Golin via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>> I'd be happy with a feedback driven input into the foundation (on
>> cases like Outreachy), but that process needs to be defined and it
>> needs to be open.
>
>>> But we should discuss how we can influence the foundation on cases
>> where they miss the mark and how we can guarantee that they end up
>> representing our community for what it is (including people like
>> Rafael).
>>
>> In the past, people have strongly suggested the dev list *IS* the
>> right place for community discussions (code of conduct, license,
>> github move) as this is "where everyone is at".
>>
>> If this is not the place, then where is it?
>
> I’d suggest... the llvm foundation mailing list?

It's not that simple, because the foundation is not the community.
*Especially* people involved in the LLVM foundation would do well to
remember that.

Of the potential discussion topics you quoted, quite a lot of them are
simply not foundation topics. Let's go through them one by one:

The github move and license topics *clearly* belong on llvm-dev. I mean,
it's awesome for interested parties to go off somewhere else for working
out proposals etc. on those, but that always needs to be done with the
understanding that resulting proposals may fall flat in the actual
community.

The code of conduct discussions are IMHO mostly annoying bikeshedding
that brings out the worst in people, so I'd personally be happy if they
happened on the foundation mailing list so I don't see them, even if
they technically don't belong there ;)

The question of how to ensure that the foundation ends up representing
the community is a particularly interesting one because representing the
community is not a goal of the foundation, and it probably shouldn't be.

Cheers,
Nicolai

> -Chris

Lerne, wie die Welt wirklich ist,
Aber vergiss niemals, wie sie sein sollte.