[llvm-dev] Is there any relationship between IR instruction and execution time

Yin Liu via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon May 7 17:29:01 PDT 2018

Hello,

As is known to all, there is a relationship between program's instructions
and its execution time. In other words, we can estimate the execution time
based on the number of program instructions.

I'm curious about what the relationship between IR instruction and
execution time. I know the number of program instructions and the execution
time is highly related to the platform and architecture, while the IR
instruction is independent and intermediate. But, intuitively, there may be
some relationship between IR instruction and execution time.

Would it be possible to give me some advice about it?

Thanks in advance!

Best,
YL