[llvm-dev] I am leaving llvm

via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon May 7 10:31:24 PDT 2018

> However, the main point here is why we have it and who is doing it. I
> know Chandler and Tanya for a while and, while I do not speak for
> them, I trust them to *want* to do the right thing (tm).
>
> If they miss the mark, or make mistakes, I'd first point out to them,
> not assume ill intent. This has been my personal experience and I have
> no reason to change behaviour.

I feel compelled to throw in my two cents here.

I agree 100% that the Foundation is full of people with good intentions.
I have been on a board like that, and it is extremely seductive; the
downside is, having such good intentions you see no value in establishing
good practices and processes.  There is a proverbial road paved with all
good intentions.

[This is where Chris will step in and say this isn't the right forum
for discussing how the Foundation is set up or behaves, and he is right.
So I will stop here.]

OOTC: I deeply respect Rafael for his technical contributions, both in
open-source and as a fellow employee.  Having myself left a prior
company over an ethical issue, I fully support his decision.
--paulr