[llvm-dev] RFC: Are auto-generated assertions a good practice?

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 4 09:31:04 PDT 2018

Yep - all about balance.

The main risk are tests that overfit (golden files being the worst case -
checking that the entire output matches /exactly/ - this is what FileCheck
is intended to help avoid) and maintainability. In the case of the
autogenerated FileCheck lines I've seen so far - they seem like they still
walk a fairly good line of checking exactly what's intended. Though I
sometimes wonder if they're checking full combinatorial expansions that may
not be required/desirable - always a tradeoff of just how black/white box
tests are.