[llvm-dev] Is it possible to execute Objective-C code via LLVM JIT?

Lang Hames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 3 16:44:51 PDT 2018

Hi Stanislav,

Sorry -- I am not much help here. I would like to get ObjC runtime support
for the JIT, but have not had time to look in to it closely. When I last
tested the idea (a couple of years ago now) we used selector registration
and objc_readClassPair to get basic test cases working as you have, but ran
into (possibly similar) failures on non-trivial test cases. I think the
interpretation (and possibly the layout?) of some runtime metadata varies
between relocatable objects and linked images. The advice we got at the
time was that we would be better off parsing the metadata in the object
file and calling the runtime registration methods in objc/runtime.h, rather
than fixing up the metadata ourselves. That might be worth investigating.

If you are not worried about performance at the moment, another option may
be to ditch RuntimeDyld entirely. ORC is now decoupled from RuntimeDyld, so
you are free to substitute your own linking layer. Last year I hacked up an
alternative linking layer that dumps objects to disk and links them into
dylibs, then dlopens them. The performance is obviously terrible, but this
punts all the ObjC/Swift metadata parsing to ld64 and dyld (and you get
debug info for free!) so it is handy for prototyping. Let me know if you
would like me to share the code for that.

Cheers,
Lang.