[llvm-dev] [RFC] Generate Debug Information for Labels in Function

Adrian Prantl via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 29 09:05:34 PDT 2018

> On Mar 27, 2018, at 7:41 PM, Hsiangkai Wang via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> I would like to enhance LLVM debug info that supports setting
> breakpoint on labels in function.
>
> Generally, if users use GDB as their debugger, they could set
> breakpoints on labels in function. Following is an example.
>
> // C program
> static int
> myfunction (int arg)
> {
>  int i, j, r;
>
>  j = 0; /* myfunction location */
>  r = arg;
>
> top:
>  ++j;  /* top location */
>
>  if (j == 10)
>    goto done;
>
>  for (i = 0; i < 10; ++i)
>    {
>      r += i;
>      if (j % 2)
>        goto top;
>    }
>
> done:
>  return r;
> }
>
> int
> main (void)
> {
>  int i, j;
>
>  for (i = 0, j = 0; i < 1000; ++i)
>    j += myfunction (0);
>
>  return 0;
> }
>
> Following is the GDB commands to illustrate how to set breakpoints on labels.
>
> (gdb) b main
> Breakpoint 1 at 0x10298: file explicit.c, line 50.
> (gdb) r
> Starting program: /home/users/kai/sandbox/gdbtest/explicit-gcc
>
> Breakpoint 1, main () at explicit.c:50
> 50  for (i = 0, j = 0; i < 1000; ++i)
> (gdb) b myfunction:top
> Breakpoint 2 at 0x10214: file explicit.c, line 26.
> (gdb) c
> Continuing.
>
> Breakpoint 2, myfunction (arg=0) at explicit.c:27
> 27  ++j;  /\* top location */
> (gdb)
>
> However, LLVM does not generate debug information for labels. So, the
> feature could not work for binaries generated by clang. I also found
> that the problem is reported in PR35526 and PR36420. I propose an
> implementation plan to support debug information for labels.

Thank you for working on this! I think it would be good to support labels better. IIRC it currently only generates them from assembler sources in place of a DW_TAG_subprogram.

> Following are the steps I propose to implement the feature.
>
> 1. Define debug metadata and intrinsic functions for labels.
>
> First of all, we need to record debug information in LLVM IR. In LLVM
> IR, LLVM uses metadata and intrinsic function to keep debug
> information. So, I need to define new kind of metadata, DILabel, and
> new intrinsic function, llvm.dbg.label, to associate DILabel with
> label statement.
>
> DILabel will contain name of the label, file metadata, line number,
> and scope metadata.
>
> Intrinsic function llvm.dbg.label uses DILabel metadata as its parameter.

Looking at your testcase in https://reviews.llvm.org/D45043

  br label %top

top:
  call void @llvm.dbg.label(metadata !10), !dbg !11
  %0 = load i32, i32* %a.addr, align 4

Modelling the IR this way is problematic. In a llvm.dbg.value intrinsic we tie the SSA value the intrinsic describes to the intrinsic by making it an explicit argument of the intrinsic. In the example above, this is not the case, and optimizations will likely move the label and the intrinsic further apart, or even duplicate the intrinsic during loop unrolling. If you want to have additional metadata for a label, I think it would be better to allow a BasicBlock to carry a !dbg attachment. In IR assembler this could look like this:

top, !label !10, !dbg !11:

That said, perhaps this isn't even necessary. The only information that is stored in DILabel is the name of the label (which is redundant with the actual name of the label) and its source location, which is also stored in the DILocation (!11). I'm wondering if the DILocation of a label is even useful. When a debugger user sets a breakpoint of a label, we might as well use the location of the first instruction in the basic block described by the label, since that is where execution will continue.

Based on that I think it might be sufficient to have a flag on an IR label that marks a user-originated label and triggers the backend to create a DW_TAG_label for it. If we do need source location information for the DW_TAG_label, we could grab it from the first instruction.

Let me know what you think!
-- adrian