[llvm-dev] IRMover asserts "mapping to a source type" when repeatedly linking - usage or LLVM bug?

Andres Freund via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 26 17:09:42 PDT 2018

Hi,

On 2018-03-26 16:44:05 -0700, Duncan P. N. Exon Smith wrote:
> > The second approach is to *not* cache modules but re-read them from disk
> > (or memory, but that's irrelevant here). That works without any sort of
> > asserts, but "leaks" memory because everytime a module is re-read from
> > disk it re-creates types (cf BitcodeReader.cpp:parseTypeTableBody()).
> > Creating a different LLVMContext for every single expression used seems
> > infeasible, and fixing LLVM to have type lifetimes bound to Modules
> > seems daunting.
>
> The idea would be to fix LLVM to have LLVMContext lifetime bound to
> llvm::Module (perhaps, reference-counted), but yes, it's a big
> project.

Right. Sounds like there's a number of hairy problems around doing
so... It's currently trivial to have types around persistently that
exist in memory but aren't in any module, and that's useful. So it'd
have to be refcounting that allows for that, not just on a per-module
basis...

> Can you GC the types in the LLVMContext?

Not without modifying LLVM I think, afaict all the necessary
datastructures are hidden in LLVMContextImpl, which isn't exposed.

> IIRC, LLVMContext has a list of the modules using it.

It does.

> You could GC
> "every so often" to clean up unused types (assuming they get
> discarded).  (It's possible we even have API for that already.)

grepping around I only found additions or lookups in the relevant
datastructures.

> > Therefore the first approach seems preferable by far.
> >
> > What I'm observing is that creating the same Module contents (modulo
> > some constants) twice and then inlining a number of Modules
>
> It's not exactly clear to me what you mean by "inlining a module".
> Are you linking one module into another, and then inlining those
> functions?  Or just linking?

Sorry for the imprecision. Yes, I'm using IRMover to link subsets of a
module into another one.  The inlining is then done by the normal
inlining passes (that works).

> > (selectively, but that seems unrelated), works the first time, but
> > crashes the second with the "mapping to a source type" assertion.
> >
> > I'm not 100% sure yet, but my understanding of what happens is the
> > following:
> >
> > 1) "main1" module gets created
> > 2) inlinining loads module "a", clones it, links module "a'" into
> >   "main1". This module contains an opaque struct definition "t" that is now
> >   referenced by "main1'".
> > 3) inlinining loads module "b", clones it, links module "b'" into
> >   "main1'". This module has a *non-opaque* definition of "t". Thus "t",
> >   as referenced by "main1'", gets its type "t" completed (via
> >   linkDefinedTypeBodies()).
> > 4) "main2" module gets created
> > 5) inlining clones module "a". As types are global to a context, "t" now
> >   has a body, *and* the body appears to be from the source module
> >   (actually "b'"). "mapping to a source type" is the result.
>
> When exactly does "mapping to a source type" fire?
> - When cloning?
> - When linking the clone into another module?
> If the latter, which module did you link the cloned "a" into?

It fires when linking the clone. I'm trying to:

1) IRMover(main1).move(CloneModule(a), list-of-globals1)
2) IRMover(main1).move(CloneModule(b), list-of-globals2)
3) IRMover(main2).move(CloneModule(a), list-of-globals1)
4) IRMover(main2).move(CloneModule(b), list-of-globals2)

The assert fires in 3). The reason is that an opaque type in a (which is
the same as the type in CloneModule(a), because cloning doesn't recreate
types), got linked into main1 in 1). Then 2) completes that type,
because b has a definition of the struct. 3) then gets confused why the
source module knows the type.  At least that's my theory.

> > Am I doing something unsupported here or is this a bug?
>
> It seems strange to link module "X" into module "Y" more than once,
> even transitively.  It sounds like you're doing that, and I suppose
> that's likely what's causing the trouble.

Well, I'm not really doing that, am I? The only reason there's some
"persistent" behaviour is that types that are modified in a cloned
module are also modified in the source.

> > As far as I can tell there unfortunately is no tool in LLVM that allows
> > to conveniently create a reproducer, unfortunately.
>
> Contributions welcome :).

Happy to do so (I've 5 outstanding reviews.llvm.org submissions ;)). Not
sure if there's a good place to integrate that.  Might be easiest to
write a unittest for it?  Don't quite see how sensibly add to llvm-link
the capability to clone modules without being too tailored to this.

Greetings,

Andres Freund