[llvm-dev] Commit module to Git after each Pass

Fedor Sergeev via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 22 08:04:56 PDT 2018

Oh, well... as usually the answer appears to be pretty obvious.
99% of the time is spent inside the plain write.

-print-after-all prints into llvm::errs(), which is an *unbuffered*
raw_fd_stream.
And -git-commit-after-all opens a *buffered* raw_fd_stream.

As soon as I hacked -print-after-all to use a buffered stream to stderr
performance went
up to the normal expected values:

] time bin/opt -O1 big-ir.ll -disable-output -print-after-all
-print-module-scope 2>&1 | grep -c "^; ModuleID"
526

real    0m2.363s
user    0m2.373s
sys     0m0.271s
]

So, the morale of this story is - we should not be printing module IR
into dbgs/errs().

And then the idea of streaming IR module dumps into a buffered stream
and then postprocessing seems
to be a right one.

regards,
   Fedor.