[llvm-dev] Variable tracking in debug info

via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 20 12:01:09 PDT 2018

The debug information does try to track what happens to parameters and local variables.  In the IR this is done with llvm.dbg.value intrinsic functions, and in Machine IR this is done with DBG_VALUE instructions.  These have operands that point to the metadata describing the variable, and the location or value of the variable.  Ideally each optimization would preserve this information, unless the variable is actually "optimized away" at which point of course there is no location anymore.
The assignment of stack locations or physical registers is done very late, so in earlier phases these locations simply don't exist yet.  The location/value would be an IR value.  But it sounds like you are mostly interested in making sure the information isn't dropped, and you can do that by looking at all of the dbg.value or DBG_VALUE instructions.
Hope this helps,
--paulr