[llvm-dev] [GSOC 2018] GNU Binutils replacement

Jake Ehrlich via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 19 13:52:08 PDT 2018

> Is there a typo somewhere in there?  "llvm-as" and "GNU as" are completely
unrelated.

It wasn't a typo unfortunately but I should have said llvm-mc. I just
googled "llvm as" saw "llvm-as" and thought "oh that must be the GNU CLI
compatible version of llvm-mc". That's what making assumptions gets me. I
suppose a symlink to llvm-mc or something might be better. Clang already
supports assembly in a command line compatible way with gcc as well. I
don't really know what the proper thing to do there would be and it would
depend on how different projects are using those tools.

> What are some ways in which llvm-object still could use work? Depending
on how much work remains, maybe it would be an interesting GSOC project?

After the switch to TableGen for command line arguments are landed filling
out all the llvm-strip options would be one part. I've been meaning to
implement --only-keep-debug for a while which is less trivial than the
other existing strip options. Other options to implement include
--discard-all, --discard-locals, section patterns, some missing short
aliases, --set-section-flags, --dump-section, --strip-unneeded-symbols,
etc...

While all this probably should probably be done at some point, I think it's
important to find an actual project that use some missing features or
working on features that people are actually requesting (for llvm-objcopy
--only-keep-debug is the only one that fits that criteria). Otherwise you
fall into a trap of implementing things for which drop in replacements
don't matter. Those listed options above are things that I've seen here and
there but are not necessarily widely or critically used.