[llvm-dev] Commit module to Git after each Pass

Don Hinton via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 15 15:22:46 PDT 2018

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 2:03 PM, Alexandre Isoard via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> If this is faster than -print-after-all we may actually consider pushing
> that in the code base then? (after diligent code review of course)
>
> Note that it uses the same printing method as -print-after-all:
> - create a pass of the same pass kind as the pass we just ran
> - use Module::print(raw_ostream) to print (except -print-after-all only
> print the concerned part and into stdout)
>
> If there is improvement to be done to print-after-all it might also
> improve git-commit-after-all. (unless that only improve speed when printing
> constructs smaller than module)
>
> In any case, it is, to me, much more usable (and extensible) than
> -print-after-all. But requires git to be in PATH (I'm curious if that works
> on Windows).

I don't really have a dog in this fight, but my guess is that this wouldn't
be used that often, so I'm not sure speed is that much of an issue.

I'd considered something similar before, but instead of directly invoking
another tool, e.g., git, I was considering providing a hook mechanism that
would allow users to use whatever they want.

However, post-processing the output via a script seems like the cleanest,
least invasive solution, assuming the deficiencies others have noted could
be addressed.