[llvm-dev] Commit module to Git after each Pass

Alexandre Isoard via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 15 08:45:51 PDT 2018

Huh. Great! 😁

I don't believe my poor excuse from earlier (else we should map all pipes
into files!), but I'm curious why we spend less time in system mode when
going through file than pipe. Maybe /dev/null is not as efficient as we
might think? I can't believe I'm saying that...

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018, 08:25 Fedor Sergeev <fedor.sergeev at azul.com> wrote:

> Well, git by itself is so focused on performance, so its not surprising
> to me that even using git add/git commit does not cause
> performance penalties.

Sure, but still, I write more stuff (entire module) into a slower
destination (file). Even ignoring git execution time it's counter intuitive.

The only difference is that while I write more, it overwrite itself
continuously, instead of being a long linear steam. I was thinking of mmap
the file instead of going through our raw_stream, but maybe that's
unnecessary then...