[llvm-dev] Relationship between MachineMemOperand and X86II::getMemoryOperandNo

Francis Visoiu Mistrih via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 14 07:17:54 PDT 2018

Hi Mircea,

I am not sure if this rule is enforced throughout the code generator, but I can see that some places like here (https://github.com/llvm-mirror/llvm/blob/12d5807/lib/CodeGen/MachineInstr.cpp#L1082 <https://github.com/llvm-mirror/llvm/blob/12d5807/lib/CodeGen/MachineInstr.cpp#L1082>) and here (https://github.com/llvm-mirror/llvm/blob/12d5807/lib/CodeGen/MachineLICM.cpp#L881 <https://github.com/llvm-mirror/llvm/blob/12d5807/lib/CodeGen/MachineLICM.cpp#L881>), we conservatively assume that if there are no memory operands, we follow the mayLoad / mayStore flags from the instruction description.

> I'm seeing an example in the case of __builtin_prefetch (lowered via SelectionDAG::getMemIntrinsicNode, which produces a MachineMemOperand) vs __builtin_ia32_gatherpfdpd, lowered through getPrefetchNode in X86ISelLowering.cpp. The latter doesn't have a MachineMemOperand.
>
> Is the latter technically a bug, maybe, and it so happens nothing is hindered by the absence of the MachineMemOperand, so we're not observing it?

If what I said above is true (I’m not completely sure either), I suppose adding MachineMemOperands while lowering would allow for more optimizations to kick in.

Thanks,

—
Francis