[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] [GSOC 2018] Information gathering

Artem Dergachev via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 2 13:58:50 PST 2018

Hey, welcome!

I'm curious about the unsequenced modification checker, is it something
that I should have seen but missed for whatever reason? It might be
useful, and I think I'm seeing why don't compiler warnings cover all
cases, i.e. why the analyzer's path sensitivity would help here. But I
can't answer until I see it :) -eg. on our Phabricator.

We are currently having two confirmed mentors for the Analyzer for now
(me and George), so we'd most likely be able to mentor one student each,
for two projects, and it'd likely be the two projects we proposed -
unless someone proposes something really interesting. And already two
fairly motivated students have shown up here in the mailing lists, but
this shouldn't stop you from posting your own proposal here in cfe-dev
(most of the analyzer contributors aren't actively scanning llvm-dev, as
far as I know).

I don't know much about the binutils replacement project; someone else
should reply on that one.

A couple of words about the use-after-free-like checker for values
managed by temporary objects (mostly strings) that go out of scope.
Because internals of std::string and other similar classes are too hard
for the analyzer's generic use-after-free checker to understand (mostly
due to how hard it is to track STL's internal invariants, and how not
all of the code is necessarily present in the header), an API-specific
checker seems to be necessary. The original plan we've had in mind was
to keep track of dangerous values like str.c_str() in the program state
(similarly to how SimpleStreamChecker tracks file descriptors) and then
see if any of them are still present in memory at the end of the
original value's lifetime (similarly to how StackAddrEscape checker
finds stack pointers at the end of a function's stack frame).

The unknowns here include how easy would it be to track scopes (for now
we only track function scopes, but if fairly old but recently
reincarnated patches [1] and [2] land any time soon, we may get a much
better granularity), how easy would it be to track objects when they are
moved or lifetime-extended by binding to references, which was a large
problem for other C++ object checkers, but we may work our way around it
to some extent (or do it properly, depending on my current work outlined
in [3] and in follow-up mails in February), and also how helpful
inlining would be (eg. would we be able to automagically support
string_view-like classes by inlining their methods?). So the checker
would need an almost indefinite amount of incremental improvements once
the initial prototype is done, some of which must be fairly curious and
would certainly expose you to some of the analyzer's internals.