[llvm-dev] XRay feature – pid reporting

Dean Michael Berris via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 28 16:32:51 PDT 2018

> On 29 Jun 2018, at 07:18, Henry Zhu <henryzhu at seas.upenn.edu> wrote:
>
> I'm still somewhat unclear about what you mean by "metadata record entry at the beginning of the block". I understand that I can make a MetadataRecord that contains the pid/tid since a metadata record contains 16 bytes. However, I don't understand what do you mean by the "beginning of the block". Do you mean right after the file header?

Please see https://llvm.org/docs/XRayFDRFormat.html which documents the FDR mode log format.

Note that this is out of date given the changes made recently which adds an explicit size record before each new buffer. The code for the FDR mode logging implementation shows what the first few metadata records we write for each buffer/block are in `writeNewBufferPreamble` (https://github.com/llvm-project/llvm-project-20170507/blob/master/compiler-rt/lib/xray/xray_fdr_logging.cc#L128) which is where we write down the first few metadata records for each new buffer.

In particular, we write down `NewBuffer` records which contain the thread ID. Today, we’re using 4 bytes for the thread ID which should really be 8 bytes to support platforms that use 64-bit thread IDs (but that’s another issue).

What I’m suggesting is writing down a different metadata record to host the process ID.

> My understanding is that at initialization, the generated log file should contain:
> [File header with pid][metadata record containing pid and tid]
>
> Updating handlers to fetch the PID and TID directly can be done. However, XRayRecord and XRayArgRecord do not have PID fields, Do I replace some of the padding with the PID field, or should I make another XRayPayload containing the TID/PID?

The log format for Basic Mode is different from FDR mode. In Basic Mode, after the file header we’ll have a stream of records each one containing all the information — currently that’s thread id along with the tsc and other details. That’s written down in the handler implementations (https://github.com/llvm-project/llvm-project-20170507/blob/master/compiler-rt/lib/xray/xray_basic_logging.cc#L224). In Basic Mode, changing the `XRayRecord` type (https://github.com/llvm-project/llvm-project-20170507/blob/master/compiler-rt/include/xray/xray_records.h#L73) to include the PID should be sufficient.

What we need to change here to get the accurate thread ID is to not cache it in `getThreadLocalData` (https://github.com/llvm-project/llvm-project-20170507/blob/master/compiler-rt/lib/xray/xray_basic_logging.cc#L114) and instead call GetTid() directly when we write down the XRayRecord in the handler.

> For now, what would be the best way to test the new format to make sure the format has the correct values?

The patches I’ve pointed to show that we change the trace loading code in LLVM first to support the new records and new file versions. I suggested using the git monorepo to make the change simultaneously in LLVM (https://github.com/llvm-project/llvm-project-20170507/blob/master/llvm/lib/XRay/Trace.cpp#L682) and compiler-rt. You can ensure that none of the XRay tests in compiler-rt (https://github.com/llvm-project/llvm-project-20170507/tree/master/compiler-rt/test/xray/TestCases/Posix) fail, and can add tests that will use `fork()` to generate new version Basic and FDR mode logs that have the changes mentioned above.

> Thanks

No worries — thank you for your patience through this process!

I’m based in Sydney, Australia and am ‘dberris’ on the LLVM IRC channel (https://llvm.org/docs/#irc). This explains some of the latency in my responses because timezones are hard. :)

But if you message me and I respond, that’s a good indicator that I’m awake and able to chat in async but closer to real-time than through email (which is async but latency is in the order of minutes/hours/days).

Let me know if anything else is still unclear.

Cheers

> On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 11:29 PM, Dean Michael Berris <dean.berris at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On 28 Jun 2018, at 07:28, Henry Zhu <henryzhu at seas.upenn.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks, that cleared up my confusion about version numbers.
> >
> > I've implemented the handlers and done up to 6) below. I'm unsure of how to test what I have added.
> >
> > 1) Update the Header.Version = 3 (from 2)
> > 2) Add a new XRayRecord for pid (XRayPidRecord) in xray_basic_logging.h
> > 3) Implement InMemoryRawLogWithPid similar to how InMemoryRawLogWithArg is implemented
> > 4) Implement __xray_set_handler_pid
> > 5) call __xray_set_handler_pid, passing in basicLoggingHandlePid in the initialization function for basic mode
> > 6) Add an assembly stub for the [od handler
> >

> Huh, I’m sorry for not being clear here — I suspect you don’t need steps 3 to 6.
>
> You may just need to add a metadata record at the beginning of the block, and getting the PID and TID directly (instead of the cached versions). This way FDR mode will have the PID record and the TID records at the beginning of the block.
>
> For Basic Mode we need to get the TID directly instead of using the cached version, and also to get the PID directly instead of attempting to cache it. This would be an update in the handlers.
>
> In Profiling Mode this would be a little tricky, because it may need changes in more places. I need to think about that I little more.
>
> > 7) Add additional parsing for pid for llvm-xray tool to parse the header for pid and xray entries for pid
> >
> > Q1. For 7), on order to log the pid, one would need to patch the function to call the pid logger. Should I add an attribute to clang that patches the function, so that the function calls the pid? Or is there an easier way to test the functionality of the pid logger?
>
> Please see above.
>
> > Q2. Should the PID always be set in the file header when xray starts?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Q3. How do I run test cases?
>
> There’s a ‘check-all’ and ‘check-xray’ target when you build LLVM+Clang+compiler-rt.
>
> > Q4. Would it be possible to always call the pid logger when fork is called?
> >

> Unfortunately no. The simpler solution would be to update the handlers to get the PID alongside the TID, and to always get the TID instead of using a cached version.
>
> Cheers
>
> -- Dean

-- Dean