[llvm-dev] [lldb-dev] RFC: libtrace

Jim Ingham via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 27 10:18:56 PDT 2018

> On Jun 26, 2018, at 5:14 PM, Zachary Turner <zturner at google.com> wrote:
>
> Yes that’s what I’ve been thinking about as well.
>
> One thing I’ve been giving a lot of thought to is whether to serialize the handling of trace events.  I want to balance the “this is a library and you should be able to get it to work for you no matter what your use case is” aspect with the “you really just don’t want to go there, we know what’s best for you” aspect.  Then there’s the  fact that not all platforms behave the same, but we’d like a consistent set of expectations that makes it easy to use for everyone.
>
> So I’m leaning towards having the library serialize all tace events, because it’s a nice common denominator that every platform can implement.
>
> To be clear though, I don’t mean that if 2 processes are being traced simultaneously and A stops followed by B stopping, then the tool will necessarily block before handling  B’s stop.  I just mean that A and B’s stop handlers will be invoked on a single thread (not the threads which are tracing  A or B).
>
> So A stops, posts its stop event on the blessed thread and waits.  Then B stops and does the same thing.  A’s handler runs, for whatever reason decides it will continue later, saves off the event somewhere, then processes B’s.  Later something happens, it decides to continue A, signals A’s thread which wakes up.
>
> I think this kind of design eliminates a large class of race conditions without sacrificing any performance.
>
> LLDB doesn’t currently work like this, but it would be nice not to end up with another split similar to the dwarf split, so I’m curious if you can think of any fundamental assumptions of LLDB’s architecture that this would violate.  This way we’d at least know that it’s possible to use the api in lldb (assuming it does everything lldb needs obviously)

What you describe is actually pretty much how the lldb driver works.  Every time the lower levels of the Process (e.g. ProcessGDBRemote) class notice something interesting happening to the process they are managing, they post an event to the Listener in charge of driving that process.  Then the process is allowed to continue on its way, either stopped or continued depending (the event records whether a restart has occurred.)  The upper levels only know about what happened to the process when they fetch an event off the event queue.  For a single process that serializes the reporting of process state.

As to multiple processes, you can decide whether you want to serialize all the process events using the same mechanism or not, depending on your use case.

In the lldb driver, there's one Listener that waits on all processes (the Debugger's listener).  These events all get effectively serialized in its event loop.  So if you were just straight using lldb classes you could trivially implement what you want to achieve.

That being said, I don't think you want to use lldb's process event system for your ptracer.  It has a lot of complexity which supports handling reactions to events (breakpoint commands and conditions) that have to operate in the same context as user commands even though they happen before the user has regained control, and which might or might not restart the process out from under you.  They also manage the task of concealing the vast majority of stops from the higher level clients - for instance to pretend that a single "source line step over" didn't actually require lots  of stops and starts.  I don't think anything you have described requires handling either of these tasks.

But you could use the general event system to achieve the serialization of reporting w/o hooking into the lldb private/public state thread system.

Jim