[llvm-dev] Target hardware loop instruction via intrinsics

Jon Chesterfield via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 21 11:07:54 PDT 2018

Hi,

Hexagon has a MIR pass for detecting loops that map onto hardware support.
I think a similar approach would be viable for my target but am put off by
the complexity of determining whether a given loop is legal to transform.

Instead, I would like to pass the responsibility for determining legality
onto the C programmer who is assumed sufficiently familiar with the
architecture.

I think this would require a pair of intrinsics to denote the start and end
of the loop. Is there a reasonable way to model this in llvm?

If not, would anyone suggest a compiler programmer friendly, even if
application programmer hostile, way to target a loop instruction with many
constraints on validity.

Thanks!

Jon