[llvm-dev] [RFC] Removing debug locations from ConstantSDNodes

via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 21 06:07:31 PDT 2018

mbraun at apple.com<mailto:mbraun at apple.com> wrote:

FWIW: Debug information on constants feels odd to me. They are just values not something that is executed so conceptually I would not expect them to "happen" at a specific time/place in the program. That said most numbers are copied into registers or stored into memory and that is of course an interesting action. So in the original example I would hope to see debug info on whatever instructions are used to fill the array with values.

+1.  Constants are not inherently interesting, but loading one as an action preparatory to computing a value or setting up a parameter in a call, the instruction ought to be associated with the relevant source statement.
--paulr