[llvm-dev] FW: RFC: Atomic LL/SC loops in LLVM revisited

Simon Dardis via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 20 07:10:56 PDT 2018

(Resending,  missed llvm-dev somehow.)

> On 15 June 2018 at 12:28, Tim Northover via llvm-dev <llvm-
> dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 at 13:45, Alex Bradbury <asb at lowrisc.org> wrote:
> >> I don't like to see the compiler generate code that's obviously
> >> dumber than what a human would write, but in this case do we really
> >> think there would be any sort of measurable impact on performance?
> >
> > It's certainly going to be marginal, but then so is the benefit of
> > late expansion.
>
> I feel differently: to my mind there's a lot to gain by late expansion
> and relatively little to lose. By expanding only the LL/SC loop late
> and potentially making use of future 'asm goto' support in the future
> (as James suggests) there should be minimal/no codegen impact. Output
> that is guaranteed to meet the platform requirements for forward
> progress with a codegen method that is resilient to the introduction
> of new in-tree or out-of-tree passes is a huge win to me vs the status
> quo. Although the current approach appears to work ok in practice we
> know expansion in IR for LL/SC is fundamentally on shaky ground  - at least for archs other than Hexagon.

This is a concern for MIPS for both correctness and quality of the generated code, and the maintenance burden regarding the number of different expansions required if they are to be expanded at the MC layer.

For example, MIPS branches have delay slots which must be filled. Filling them with nops is suboptimal for both size and performance. MIPSR6 features compact branches which don't have delay slots but do have forbidden slots which prohibit back-to-back branches (and other control flow instructions). microMIPS features compact branches in certain cases. microMIPSR6 only has compact branches but doesn't have forbidden slots.

Handling all those situations is currently done by the MIPS delay slot filler which knows how to reselect instructions.

MIPS needs post-ra expansion to handle the cases of stores from the same process Executing the ll/sc loop and needs the late target specific passes to clean-up the branches.

Thanks,
Simon