[llvm-dev] [RFC][SVE] Supporting SIMD instruction sets with variable vector lengths

Robin Kruppe via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 18 06:54:38 PDT 2018

On 12 June 2018 at 14:47, Graham Hunter <Graham.Hunter at arm.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > even useful) and it would be the sole legal vector types in the RISCV
> > backend.

> > Yes, vscale would be the *maximum* vector length (how many elements
> > fit into each register), not the *active* vector length (how many
> > elements are operated on in the current loop iteration).
> >
> > This has nothing to do with tokens, though. The tokens I proposed were
> > to encode the fact that even 'maxvl' varies on a function by function
> > basis. This RFC approaches the same issue differently, but it's still
> > there -- in terms of this RFC, operations on scalable vectors depend
> > on `vscale`, which is "not necessarily [constant] across functions".
> > That implies, for example, that an unmasked <scalable 4 x i32> load or
> > store (which accesses vscale * 16 bytes of memory) can't generally be
> > moved from one function to another unless it's somehow ensured that
> > both functions will have the same vscale. For that matter, the same
> > restriction applies to calls to `vscale` itself.
> >
> > The evolution of the active vector length is a separate problem and
> > one that doesn't really impact the IR type system (nor one that can
> > easily be solved by tokens).
>
> Agreed.

> >> My idea is for the RISC-V backend to recognize when a setvl intrinsic has
> >> been used, and replace the use of its value in AND operations with an
> >> all-true value (with constant folding to remove unnecessary ANDs) then
> >> replace any masked instructions (generally loads, stores, anything else
> >> that might generate an exception or modify state that it shouldn't) with
> >> target-specific nodes that understand the dynamic vlen.
> >
> > I am not quite so sure about turning the active vector length into
> > just another mask. It's true that the effects on arithmetic, load,
> > stores, etc. are the same as if everything executed under a mask like
> > <1, 1, ..., 1, 0, 0, ..., 0> with the number of ones equal to the
> > active vector length. However, actually materializing the masks in the
> > IR means the RISCV backend has to reverse-engineer what it must do
> > with the vl register for any given (masked or unmasked) vector
> > operation. The stakes for that are rather high, because (1) it applies
> > to pretty much every single vector operation ever, and (2) when it
> > fails, the codegen impact is incredibly bad.
>
> I can see where the concern comes from; we had problems reconstructing
> semantics when experimenting with search loop vectorization and often
> had to fall back on default (slow) generic cases.
>
> My main reason for proposing this was to try and ensure that the size was
> consistent from the point of view of the query functions we were discussing
> in the main thread. If you're fine with all size queries assuming maxvl (so
> things like stack slots would always use the current configured maximum
> length), then I don't think there's a problem with dropping this part of the
> proposal and letting you find a better representation of active length.

Oh yeah, sure. The size of a vector is in terms of vscale, even from
the perspective of the RISC-V ISA. The active vector length just
modifies *operations* to produce partially-zero results and access
less memory. It's also perfectly reasonable to "mix" vectors computed
with different active vector lengths. For example, it might be useful
to create a loop-invariant vector in full before the loop and keep
using it in the loop body with varying vl. Add to that IR design
considerations and it's clear-cut to me that scalable vectors should
have *one* size and all operations should produce "full-width" (but
maybe partially-zeroed) vector results.

Partly for that reason (and also out of general hesitation to commit
to *any* model at this stage) I am lukewarm to the "active_vscale"
concept you outlined in a later email.

So, agreed, let's completely leave that part out for now. I'll come
back with specific proposals when the RVV work has matured and we have
more experience with this issue.