[llvm-dev] [RFC] Formalizing FileCheck Features

via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 14 13:29:24 PDT 2018

A few replies, then I'll post a revised spec v2 which ought to incorporate all the other feedback.  If I missed something, give a shout.

Actually, I wish there were a way to do that [constrain DAG to a single line] for the sake of matching unordered text on a single line.  SAME after DAGs is as close as I can get to that.  Maybe we need a CHECK-DAG-SAME.

Hmmm. You know, there were cases where people wrote tests that tried to use combo suffixes like that, but of course those directives were not actually executed (because they were treated like a SAME with prefix CHECK-DAG (or whatever), rather than CHECK with two suffixes).  That's why some while ago I added checks within FileCheck to try to detect duplicate suffixes and complain.  There were, I don’t remember, a couple dozen or so cases.

After we get the spec done and The Rule implemented, if you want to take a run at some combo prefixes that had a use-case for you, that could be interesting.

Speaking of wish lists, I've been thinking it would be nice to have some way to apply a NOT pattern among a range of matches:

CHECK-NOT-PUSH: pattern

Well, there is the `--implicit-check-not` option, which applies to the entire input text; it looks like you want it just for a subrange, though?  If you aren't talking about DAGs, then repeating a CHECK-NOT between the other directives would work although it's pretty tedious (voice of experience) and easy to mess up (voice of experience).  If you have an example where CHECK-DAG-NOT would actually be useful, the formalism I'm going for does seem like it would help.

--paulr