[llvm-dev] RFC: Bug-closing protocol

Dean Michael Berris via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 13 10:50:43 PDT 2018

Hi Paul,

I’m one of those that closed at least one bug in this manner, without citing exact DNNN nor rNNN numbers. I’d like to fix that and do better in the future.

So I agree 100% with you that we really ought to be more thorough and diligent with the way we’re handling bugs.

I for one would really like for the bug filing/tracking mechanisms to be easier/simpler/convenient/ergonomic. In particular:

- Let’s automate as much of this as possible. I really like the idea of auto-closing bugs with some convention based on the commit message(s).

- Let’s have a process/policy by which we handle un-acknowledged or mis-assigned bugs. A triage process would be really helpful, and I understand that a lot of us are volunteers and/or part-time working on things.

- Let’s evaluate whether bugzilla is still the appropriate solution for issue tracking. Considering that there’s (huge) efforts for re-licensing and the proposal to move to using git (and a monorepo structure?) then maybe alternatives can be explored for the next iteration of the development process when those are done — including whether LLVM should stick with Bugzilla or use GitHub issues (as one example) instead with a lot of the automation features already in place.

This is perhaps a longer conversation that needs to happen and I’m interested in having that conversation (it’s very relevant to my interests).

Hope this helps.