[llvm-dev] [RFC][SVE] Supporting SIMD instruction sets with variable vector lengths

Graham Hunter via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 6 02:20:19 PDT 2018

Hi David,

>>> The name "getSizeExpressionInBits" makes me think that a Value
>>> expression will be returned (something like a ConstantExpr that uses
>>> vscale).  I would be surprised to get a pair of integers back.  Do
>>> clients actually need constant integer values or would a ConstantExpr
>>> sufffice?  We could add a ConstantVScale or something to make it work.
>>
>> I agree the name is not ideal and I'm open to suggestions -- I was thinking of the two
>> integers representing the known-at-compile-time terms in an expression:
>> '(scaled_bits * vscale) + unscaled_bits'.
>>
>> Assuming the pair is of the form (unscaled, scaled), then for a type with a size known at
>> compile time like <4 x i32> the size would be (128, 0).
>>
>> For a scalable type like <scalable 4 x i32> the size would be (0, 128).
>>
>> For a struct with, say, a <scalable 32 x i8> and an i64, it would be (64, 256).
>>
>> When calculating the offset for memory addresses, you just need to multiply the scaled
>> part by vscale and add the unscaled as is.
>
> Ok, now I understand what you're getting at.  A ConstantExpr would
> encapsulate this computation.  We alreay have "non-static-constant"
> values for ConstantExpr like sizeof and offsetof.  I would see
> VScaleConstant in that same tradition.  In your struct example,
> getSizeExpressionInBits would return:
>
> add(mul(256, vscale), 64)
>
> Does that satisfy your needs?

Ah, I think the use of 'expression' in the name definitely confuses the issue then. This
isn't for expressing the size in IR, where you would indeed just multiply by vscale and
add any fixed-length size.

This is for the analysis code around the IR -- lots of code asks for the size of a Type in
bits to determine what it can do to a Value with that type. Some of them are specific to
scalar Types, like determining whether a sign/zero extend is needed. Others would
apply to vector types (including scalable vectors), such as checking whether two
Types have the exact same size so that a bitcast can be used instead of a more
expensive operation like copying to memory and back to convert.

See 'getTypeSizeInBits' and 'getTypeStoreSizeInBits' in DataLayout -- they're used
a few hundred times throughout the codebase, and to properly support scalable
types we'd need to return something that isn't just a single integer. Since most
backends won't support scalable vectors I suggested having a 'FixedSize' method
that just returns the single integer, but it may be better to just leave the existing method
as is and create a new method with 'Scalable' or 'VariableLength' or similar in the
name to make it more obvious in common code.

There's a few places where changes in IR may be needed; 'lifetime.start' markers in
IR embed size data, and we would need to either add a scalable term to that or
find some other way of indicating the size. That can be dealt with when we try to
add support for the SVE ACLE though.

> Is there anything about vscale or a scalable vector that requires a
> minimum bit width?  For example, is this legal?
>
> <scalable 1 x double>
>
> I know it won't map to an SVE type.  I'm simply curious because
> traditionally Cray machines defined vectors in terms of
> machine-dependent "maxvl" with an element type, so with the above vscale
> would == maxvl.  Not that we make any such things anymore.  But maybe
> someone else does?

That's legal in IR, yes, and we believe it should be usable to represent the vectors for
RISC-V's 'V' extension. The main problem there is that they have a dynamic vector
length within the loop so that they can perform the last iterations of a loop within vector
registers when there's less than a full register worth of data remaining. SVE uses
predication (masking) to achieve the same effect.

For the 'V' extension, vscale would indeed correspond to 'maxvl', and I'm hoping that a
'setvl' intrinsic that provides a predicate will avoid the need for modelling a change in
dynamic vector length -- reducing the vector length is effectively equivalent to an implied
predicate on all operations. This avoids needing to add a token operand to all existing
instructions that work on vector types.

-Graham