[llvm-dev] Unit Tests CMake configuration

Dean Michael Berris via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 5 01:18:48 PDT 2018

On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 6:02 PM Dean Michael Berris
<dean.berris at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi llvm-dev,
>
> Does anybody know why we're not using the `add_test` feature in CMake
> [0] for unit tests? In particular, compiler-rt (sanitizers and xray)
> has a number of unit tests which could really just be built as normal
> binaries and invoked appropriately.
>
> If we're avoiding ctest [1], then for the unit tests in compiler-rt
> I'd like to see whether just using normal binaries can make the build
> faster. The 'Generating TEST_OBJECTS.*' messages seem to indicate that
> these are executed sequentially, or cannot be parallelized by
> ninja-build [2] and take a really long time to complete.

Okay, it's not sequential -- but it seems like the sanitizer builds
are taking a long time.

Anybody aware of changes recently that would cause the sanitizer
builds to take longer? Maybe changes in the compiler?

Adding in Kostya and Evgeniy.

In particular, I'm seeing really bad build times with
msan-instrumented unit tests when doing in-tree builds.

--
Dean