[llvm-dev] Filesystem has Landed in Libc++

Eric Fiselier via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 26 21:20:31 PDT 2018

Hi All,

I recently committed <filesystem> to trunk. I wanted to bring attention to
some quirks it currently has.

First, it's been put in a separate library, libc++fs, for now. Users are
responsible for linking the library when they use filesystem.

Second, it should still not be considered ABI stable. Vendors should be
aware of this before shipping it. Hopefully all the standard and
implementation bugs can be resolved by the next release, and we can move it
into the main dylib.

Third, libc++experimental no longer contains the symbols for
<experimental/filesystem>, which is really just <filesystem> is disguise.
If you've been using <experimental/filesystem> you now need to link
libc++fs instead.

Fourth, `<filesystem>` is technically available in C++11 and later. The
implementation lives in the std::__fs::filesystem namespace, which is
marked "inline" in C++17 but not before. We should consider documenting
this as an extension to its use w/o C++17.

Happy coding,

/Eric

[1]
http://libcxx.llvm.org/docs/UsingLibcxx.html#using-filesystem-and-libc-fs