[llvm-dev] Level of support for ARM LLD

Peter Smith via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 26 08:08:36 PDT 2018

On 26 July 2018 at 15:52, Ed Maste <emaste at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 27 February 2018 at 09:06, Ed Maste <emaste at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>
>> A number of companies are shipping products based on FreeBSD/arm, on
>> v5 and up. As far as I know those using older processors are also
>> using older versions of FreeBSD (with a toolchain based on GCC and
>> Binutils). I suspect that they'll use more recent processors and a
>> contemporary FreeBSD version for new designs.
>
> We currently have one known open issue blocking our use of lld as the
> system linker for FreeBSD/armv7: LLVM PR 36009. Output binaries do not
> have the EF_ARM_VFP_FLOAT flag set. Our rtld uses the flag to choose
> the appropriate library path.

I can take a look at that for you. Please feel free to CC me on the PR
if there are any LLD Arm or AArch64 problems as I may not see the PR.

Just to check; is EF_ARM_VFP_FLOAT the same as EF_ARM_ABI_FLOAT_HARD
(0x00000400).

The ABI for the Arm architecture doesn't define EF_ARM_VFP_FLOAT, but
it does define EF_ARM_ABI_FLOAT_HARD and EF_ARM_ABI_FLOAT_SOFT.
See page 17 of http://infocenter.arm.com/help/topic/com.arm.doc.ihi0044f/IHI0044F_aaelf.pdf

Peter