[llvm-dev] A question to the DWARF experts on symbol indirection

Tim Northover via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 25 00:07:02 PDT 2018

Hi Nat!,

On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 at 01:21, Nat! via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Is it possible to emit DWARF statements, so that in the debugger the
> parameter _param is hidden and the visibility is a and b, without a _param-> prefix ?

It's certainly possible in LLVM IR. @llvm.dbg.declare and so on can
associate arbitrary Values in a function with whatever name you want.

But it looks like you're trying to convince Clang itself to do that.
That's likely to be harder since it's not exactly a natural C mapping;
I suspect a lot depends on just where you're doing your ABI lowering.
Either way you're probably more likely to get a good response if you
ask the question on the cfe-dev mailing list.

Cheers.

Tim.