[llvm-dev] Syntax for FileCheck numeric variables and expressions

Thomas Preudhomme via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 18 05:50:24 PDT 2018

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the feedback. My first thought was that introducing the new
pseudo var @EXPR is a nice way to generalize that syntax beyond @LINE
since it would also evaluate to an arithmetic value. On the other hand
there is a small inconsistency because @LINE evaluates to a value
which can be part of an expression while @EXPR is an expression, and
so the @ syntax as a whole becomes defined as introducing something
which is not a regular variable, ie. a negative definition.

I'll stick with the # syntax because # is usually associated with
numbers and can be defined as introducing an integer
expression/variable. The one question I wonder is if the # should be
next to the variable name or next to the [[ as proposed by James. I
like the former better *but* I think the latter makes more sense since
[[#VAR + 1]] would suggest that the [[<something>]] syntax already
allows numeric expression without numeric variable which is not the
case. Having the # right at the start also clearly indicates that the
whole expression might have a conversion specifier. Finally, the #
syntax can allow defining a variable with the result of an arithmetic
expression:
[[#BAR, %x:]]
[[# FOO:BAR+12]]

So BAR takes an hex value in lower case syntax, value gets added 12
(in decimal) and the result is put into FOO. In which case there
should be no format specifier when defining FOO. ie. format specifier
for definition is only when there's nothing about the colon. Of course
we could allow hex immediate with 0x syntax if needed. Again, I'm not
advocating for implementing all this from the start, but make sure
that the syntax would allow it if we realize we need this later and I
think Jame's proposal does.

It seems this syntax would suit all your current uses (albeit the
rewriting necessary), did I miss something?

Best regards,

Thomas