[llvm-dev] Syntax for FileCheck numeric variables and expressions

James Henderson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 13 07:51:33 PDT 2018

Hi Thomas,

In general, I think this is a good proposal. However, I don't think that
using ">" or "<" to specify base (at least alone) is a good idea, as it
might clash with future ideas to do comparisons etc. I also think it would
be nice to have the syntax consistent between definition and use. My first
thought on a reasonable alternative was to use commas to separate the two
parts, so something like:

[[# VAR, 16:]] to capture a hexadecimal number (where the spaces are
optional). [[# VAR, 16]] to use a variable, converted to a hexadecimal
string. In both cases, the base component is optional, and defaults to
decimal.

This led me to thing that it might be better to use something similar to
printf style for the latter half, so to capture a hexadecimal number with a
leading "0x" would be: "0x[[# VAR, %x:]]" and to use it would be "0x[[#
VAR, %x]]". Indeed, that would allow straightforward conversions between
formats, so say you defined it by capturing a decimal integer and using it
to match a hexadecimal in upper case, with leading 0x and 8 digits
following the 0x:

CHECK: [[# VAR, %d:]] # Defines
CHECK: 0x[[# VAR + 1, %8X]] # Uses

Of course, if we go down that route, it would probably make more sense to
reverse the two sides (e.g. to become "[[# %d, VAR:]]" to capture a decimal
and "[[# %8X, VAR + 1]]" to use it).

Regards,

James